Monday, April 11, 2011

picking up the pieces

Well, the dust has settled and I've come out of it alive, but not unscathed.

We had 26 software engineers, and we are left with only 16, losing about 40%. Of those, I lost my software project lead (not the same as my boss), which is a huge loss to our project. He has many years of domain expertise on our product, and I'm not sure who can replace him.

The tallies are still coming in from the other functions in our business, but I hear we're losing about 67-76 people total from Austin.

It's been a pretty stressful day, and it's tough watching these people pack up. Some of them are fine with it, and some are bitter. It's going to leave a bad taste in our mouths for a while, and I've definitely lost my work ethic for the day. I was planning on taking the rest of the day off, but my boss recommended I stay because we might have some meetings later today.

What lesson have I learned? Always keep your résumé up-to-date.

No comments:

Post a Comment